POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : htmlflame=on : Re: htmlflame=on Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: htmlflame=on
From: Lue Ebra
Date: 29 Jan 1999 13:50:21
Message: <36b202ed.0@news.povray.org>
Lue Ebra wrote in message <36b16545.0@news.povray.org>...
>I've watched the flamewars regarding html usage, and frankly, I think it's
>getting ridiculous. Half of the threads I pull are flames about html, and
>half of those are in html. I understand that a lot of you run newsreaders
>that don't support html and some of you have to pay for each megabyte you
>download. probably the rest of you don't give a flying flip either way.
That
>breaks us up into roughly three groups.
> For the third group, good on you. You're more interested in the actual
meat
>of the matter than the frills and frippery.
> For the first group, A) Get a grip. Do you flame a webmaster because his
>Netscape 4 javascript blew a tire on your IE3.01 browser? Didn't think so.
>You usually just pick up and move on, gleaning the pertinent info and
>disregarding the rest (unless the error makes that impossible, of course).
>B) Get a better newsreader. While free may be good, getting that
rinky-dinky
>120K newsreader off the "Biggest Collection of Free Crap CD" that came with
>"Technoweenie" magazine (wait a minute.. I think I subscribe to that
one..oh
>well) doesn't constitute a really smart move. You're not running Netscape
>1.0, or mIRC 2.3, or POVray 1.0 so quit reading the news with something
that
>went out with Windows 3.0. Upgrading isn't a sin, doesn't require a great
>deal of work (nor brains) and generally makes life a little easier. (Now
>watch, I'll get return flame from someone running Win 3.0 using the first
>release of Free Agent and Mosaic 1.0 on a 386sx16.)
>As for you Pay-Per-Byte ppl: get a real ISP, you're not even getting
kissed.
>What possible advantage could they have? I've got unlimited access for
>$15/month for Lakshmi's sake. Even AOL's better than that (and ultimately
>cheaper). On a regular basis, I cycle through my Browser cache at a sitting
>(which is set at 300 MEGS). Can you imagine how much that would cost in a
>month? I can.. $15!
>Now that I've vented that, I'm expecting another 3 dozen posts in flame..
>the REAL drag to html postings. Funny.. a 2K html post generates 50K of
>flame (kinda like the fliers in the Sunday paper).
>
>--
>Lue Ebra
>"Only you can prevent forest fires" -Smokey the Bear
>
>PS: I posted this in plain text format for a reason.. so you wouldn't skip
>it just because it's html.

=> The windows nerd Nieminen refers too (unfortunately) is the typical
american windoze user. most of them don't even know that there are other
OSes like Solaris, Linux (all the different brands) OS/2, and good ole
AT&T's (or was it Bell Labs?)original Unix. they wouldn't know about VT100
or ANSI graphics (and definitely not Xwindows)
=> Ron's flaming Pepsi because they built a whole website based on a
plugin..well..in that case I'd have done the same thing..
=>Twist's comment about reading..if ppl actually RTFMed then things like the
VFAQ would be very small (assuming they actually made a decent manual that
came with the proggie). On the average, nobody reads the manual  (I do, and
anything else I can get my hands on)
=> And to Graham: I have some chestnuts, wanna trade :)

Lue Ebra
"Only the mind matters in these matters of the mind"